Yi Zhang, Ph.D.
Flexible electronics, soft microfluidics, and electronic neural interfaces
Lab website: https://zhangyigroup.com/
Bronwell 208/213, 260 Glenbrook Road, Unit 3247
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269-3247
Office Phone: TBD
Office Fax: TBD
BS (Chemical Engineering) Dalian University of Technology, China
PhD (Chemical Engineering) Georgia Institute of Technology
Postdoc (Bioelectronics) Northwestern University
Today, humanity faces unprecedented challenges in the global distributions of energy, food, water, and healthcare. The mission of Dr. Zhang’s lab is to create an interdisciplinary and collaborative research environment to solve the grand challenges in personalized health monitoring, early diagnosis, and neuroscience. Dr. Zhang’s research focuses on three major fields: (I) “Lab-on-skin”: materials, chemistry, and devices of wearable biosensors for personalized health monitoring and early diagnosis; (II) Materials and interfacial phenomena of device-tissue interfaces; (III) Materials, design, and fabrication of new tools for neuroscience.
Honors and Awards:
- BMES Career Development Award, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2019
- Waldemar T. Ziegler Award for Best Research Paper, Georgia Tech, 2015
Google Scholar Link
- Y. Zhang†, D. C. Castro†, Y. Han, Y. Wu, H. Guo, Y. Xue, X. Wang, Y. Xie, Z. Weng, D. Ostojich, R. Sun, B. Wang, Z. Xie, J. P. Leshock, D. Peng, S. Qu, C. J. Su, W. Shen, T. Hang, A. Banks, Y. Huang, J. Radulovic, P. Gutruf, M. R. Bruchas, J. A. Rogers, “Battery-free, lightweight, injectable microsystem for in vivo wireless pharmacology and optogenetics”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 2019 116 (43) 21427-21437.
- Y. Zhang†, H. Guo†, S. B. Kim†, Y. Wu, D. Ostojich, S. H. Park, X. Wang, R. Li, A. Bandodkar, Y. Sekine, Z. Weng, J. Choi, S. Xu, S. Quaggin, R. Ghaffari and J. A. Rogers “Passive sweat collection and colorimetric analysis of biomarkers relevant to kidney disorders using a soft microfluidic system”, Lab on a Chip, 2019, 19, 1545-1555.
- Y. Zhang†, A. D. Mickle†, P. Gutruf†, L. A. McIlvried†, H. Guo, Y. Wu, J. P. Golden, Y. Xue, J. G. Grajales-Reyes, X. Wang, S. Krishnan, Y. Xie, D. Peng, C. Su, F. Zhang, J. T. Reeder, S. K. Vogt, Y. Huang, J. A. Rogers, R. W. Gereau IV, “Battery-free, fully implantable optofluidic cuff system for wireless optogenetic and pharmacological neuromodulation of peripheral nerves,” Science Advances, 2019, 5, eaaw5296.
- Y. Zhang, J. Wu, H. Wang, J. C. Meredith, S. H. Behrens, “Stabilization of liquid foams through the synergistic action of particles and an immiscible liquid,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 126(49): 13603-13607.
Press coverage: ScienceDaily, Georgia Tech News, Phys.org, World Industrial Reporter, 2015 Georgia Tech ChBE Magazine, and many others