Position ID: UConn – Biomedical Engineering – 497001 [#23887, 497001]
Position Title: Professor and Department Head, Biomedical Engineering
Position Type: Tenured/Tenure-track faculty
Position Location: Storrs, Connecticut 06269, United States
Subject Area: Biomedical Engineering
Appl Deadline: none (posted 11/30/2022)
Click Here for a link to apply.
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks an outstanding leader and mentor to serve as Head of the Biomedical Engineering Department (BME, https://www.bme.uconn.edu/). UConn BME is a joint department between the Schools of Engineering, Medicine, and Dental Medicine, and oversees research, education, and outreach activities in biomedical science and engineering across two campuses, located at Storrs (main campus) and Farmington (health center) in Connecticut.
As one of the nation’s earliest programs in biomedical engineering, UConn BME provides outstanding undergraduate, graduate, and professional training and is rapidly expanding its international reputation through numerous well-funded research programs led by world-class faculty with extramural support from the NIH, NSF, NASA, DoD, state agencies, regional and national foundations, and industry. The department administers Ph.D. and M.S. programs in biomedical engineering, an ABET-accredited B.S. program in biomedical engineering, and a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) program in clinical engineering in partnership with 11 hospitals across the country. UConn BME comprises 20 tenured/tenure-track faculty members on both campuses, with active research programs in biomaterials, biomechanics, biomedical imaging, mechanobiology, neural engineering, systems biology, tissue engineering, biosignals, and wearable devices. There are also 7 full-time teaching faculty and 5 staff members. With a potential to further grow faculty size over the next several years, BME fosters collaborations with various research centers within the University and is home to significant undergraduate and graduate programs.
The successful candidate will be a senior faculty with strong management skills, a driving collaborative spirit, a shared vision for excellence, and a demonstrated capability to lead a highly impactful, extramurally funded research program. This person will have an outstanding record of professional accomplishments commensurate with an appointment at the rank of Professor, with the opportunity for tenure at hire. Essential characteristics also include a demonstrated ability to engage in a collegial departmental environment and to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a land-grant institution, UConn is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture while advancing science, education, and healthcare. The successful candidate will work on both campuses to steward the considerable assets of the Department while fostering strength and unity among the diverse individuals, talents, and interests affiliated with UConn’s growing and energetic community. We especially encourage applications from backgrounds underrepresented in biomedical engineering. The successful candidate will receive a competitive start-up package and laboratory space.
Founded in 1881, UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.
- An earned doctorate in biomedical engineering or a related discipline or alternatively an M.D./D.M.D. degree with a substantial background in biomedical engineering or directly related fields.
- A distinguished scholarly reputation and record of research accomplishments and funding sufficient to earn the appointment of Professor with academic tenure at UConn.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching.
- A clear and innovative academic vision for the Department that encompasses its undergraduate, graduate, and professional educational enterprises.
- A clear vision of emerging research opportunities and an established track record of leadership in major efforts in research and/or education.
- An ability to work with faculty, students, staff, administration, and alumni.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Experience managing a budget in a setting with many competing objectives.
- Experience working in or collaborating with clinical settings.
- Commitment to supporting the growth and development of students, faculty, and staff.
- Dedication to an environment that supports the diversity of population and perspectives.
- Experience in identifying and recruiting talented faculty and support staff.
- Commitment to an open-door policy of communication and interaction with all constituents.
- Skill in serving as an advocate for the department with institutional and external organizations.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenured position at the rank of Full Professor with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2023. Applicants must meet University requirements for appointment at the rank of Full Professor, with tenure. The successful candidate’s primary academic appointment will be in the School of Engineering at the Storrs campus with the possibility for a joint appointment in the School of Medicine or Dental Medicine. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/23887 and submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter,
- Full curriculum vitae including a complete record of federal funding and journal publications
- Leadership statement a two-page statement highlighting the candidate’s leadership philosophy and past leadership experiences
- Research and scholarship statement (innovative concepts that will form the basis of academic career, experience in proposal development, mentorship of graduate students, etc.)
- Teaching statement (including teaching philosophy, teaching experience, commitment to effective learning, concepts for new course development, etc.)
- Commitment to diversity statement (including broadening participation, integrating multicultural experiences in instruction and research and pedagogical techniques to meet the needs of diverse learning styles, etc.)
- Names, addresses, email, and telephone numbers of five references.
Application Materials Required:
- Submit the following items online at this website to complete your application:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching statement
- Leadership statement
- Research and scholarship statement
- Commitment to diversity statement
- Names, addresses, email, and telephone numbers of five references
- And anything else requested in the position description.
For Further Info:
- Please contact Birgit Sawstrom <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- or visit http://www.bme.uconn.edu/
- Biomedical Engineering Department
Room 217, A.B. Bronwell Building
260 Glenbrook Road, Unit 3247
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269-3247
Applicant screening will begin immediately. Applications received before January 20, 2023, will have priority consideration. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
For more information regarding Biomedical Engineering at UConn, please visit https://www.bme.uconn.edu/. For questions regarding this position, prospective applicants should contact Ms. Birgit Sawstrom (email@example.com).
At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Published: Dec 14, 2022